[AI-announce] New Course on Autonomous Vehicles and Artificial Intelligence

Sven Peldszus Sven.Peldszus at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fr Mär 4 15:33:18 CET 2022

**

*Dear students,*

*

The chair of software engineering is pleased to offer a new course on
autonomous vehicles and artificial intelligence in the upcoming summer
term in cooperation with the RUB motorsport team. The course will be
offered for Master students and for advanced Bachelor students in the
programs: Informatik, Angewandte Informatik, ITS, and ETiT.

Autonomous driving is the future of individual mobility and all major
manufacturers are working on fully autonomous vehicles. While there are
robust and good solutions for the individual problems in autonomous
driving, the main challenge lies in their integration. Altogether, an
autonomous vehicle’s software is the biggest problem. Therefore, the key
in self-driving vehicles is about getting the software right. In this
course, we will investigate the different aspects of self-driving
vehicles as well as the importance and application of artificial
intelligence in this domain from a theoretical but especially from a
practical perspective. All taught concepts will be practically applied
to real robots by implementing the concepts for ROS2, a state-of-the-art
operating system for robots. The course will primarily focus on the
following topics (as this is the first edition of this course, we might
dynamically adapt the topics of the course according to your practical
needs):

  * Requirements on autonomous vehicles

  * Architecture of autonomous vehicles

  * Operation systems and frameworks for robotic systems

  * Specification and Implementation of autonomous vehicles based on ROS2

  * Artificial intelligence for autonomous vehicles

  * Simulation of autonomous vehicles

  * Localization & perception

  * Mission planning

  * Quality assurance for autonomous vehicles

In the course’s lecture, we provide the required theoretical background
and practically apply the course’s content in exercises by building a
self-driving robot. You will be given the opportunity to program one of
four state-of-the-art TurtleBot3 together with your group.

For more details, please, visit the corresponding Moodle course's
information page:

https://moodle.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/course/view.php?id=43891

Courses on this topic with a focus on the software/systems engineering
aspects are still rare worldwide; we are planning to develop the course
further in the coming years. However, as this is the first education of
this course, we can only offer a very limited number of participants. If
you are interested in the course, please apply for participation until
March 27, using the following form:

https://evastud.uv.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/evasys/online.php?p=avai-lecture

We will use the entered information only for assigning participants and
will delete all entered information after the assignments are done.

Best regards,

Thorsten Berger and Sven Peldszus

*

--